Thursday 23 October 2014

PPP3 - CONTACTING STUDIOS

Before contacting any of the studios previously outlined I first decided to reviewed the helpful material sent to us during last years PPP module. 




After reviewing the information I decided to go through each of the initially outlined studios and make bullet points for each of the five considerations listed on the sheet. In doing so I will have a list of points to refer to when composing my letter hopefully helping with the writing process. 

The studios I plant to contact are;


STUDIOS;
  • Robot Food.
  • Analogue.
  • Split studio.


ROBOT FOOD 

Person to contact.
  • Simon Forster.
  • Co-founder & Creative director. 

Why am I contacting them? Why do I want to know them?
  • Work placement.
  • Small studio – appeals to my future ambitions.
  • Inspiring work – Stephenson Personal Care + Roots & Bulbs.
  • Idea driven design - innovative outcomes. 
  • Relevant work – band identities, packaging.

What do I want to get out of this?
  • Experience with a forward thinking design agency - Practical experience. 
  • A result of agency experience is better job opportunities. 
  • Develop skills - communication, understanding of design process. 
  • New friends - Industry contacts. 
  • Gain an insight into the way a small studio works and the challenges they face. 

What will they get from knowing me?
  •  Passion & enthusiasm. 
  •  A fresh insight.

Method chosen to contact & Why;
  • Letter - in theme with my personal branding. 
  • Print based - relevant to interests.
  • More personal and interesting than an email.
  • Can include promotional material.



ANALOGUE

Why am I contacting them? Why do I want to know them?
  • Work placement.
  • Small studio – appeals to my future ambitions.
  • Inspiring work – Barrio Branding & Portobello Road No.171
  • Relevant work – band identities and packaging.  

What do I want to get out of this?
  • Industry experience with a progressive design studio. 
  • A result of agency experience is better job opportunities. 
  • Develop skills - communication, understanding of design process. 
  • New friends - Industry contacts. 
  • Gain an insight into the way a small studio works and the challenges they face. 

What will they get from knowing me?
  • Passion.
  • A fresh cultural insight.

Method chosen to contact & Why;
  • Letter.
  • Print based & more personal than an email.
  • Can include promotional material.




SPLIT 

Why am I contacting them? Why do I want to know them?
  • Small studio – appeals to my future ambitions.
  • Inspiring work – .
  • Relevant work – band identities and packaging.  

What do I want to get out of this?
  • Experience with one of the leading/progressive design agencies.
  • An understanding of the inner workings of a small studio.

What will they get from knowing me?
  • Passion.
  • A fresh cultural insight.

Method chosen to contact & Why;
  • Letter.
  • Print based & more personal than an email.
  • Can include promotional material.



COMPOSING THE LETTERS

After analysing a range of Leeds based studios, forming a selection of ones relevant to my practice and using the considerations on the PPD sheet to form a list of pertinent bullet points, I started composing the body copy for the letters that will be sent out to hopefully secure me a placement. Although the responses will have a similar structure, each letter will be individually tailored to the specified studio and detail the information listed above.


THE LETTERS;

ROBOT FOOD;





REFINING THE LETTER 

Before printing and sending the letter I decided to let John read through it to see if he had any further advice to help me improve my communication. Despite covering all the relevant points, John suggested that I should try cutting down the letter to make it more concise and less text heavy. 

Working professionals are often vert busy people, so to get the best results it is better to make any communication simple, clear and straight to the point. 

Additionally, after speaking with John I decided to rethink my chosen form of contact, changing from a printed letter, which will take a number of days to even reach the desk of Simon, to a concise email. 


Evidence of my communications with Simon from Robot Food can be found here; 

Link - http://j-harrisonreader1215-ppp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/robot-food-studio-visit-organisation.html


No comments:

Post a Comment