Wednesday 15 April 2015

PPP3 - WORK IN SKATEBOARDING - CONCLUSION

Firstly, the Kim Woozy editorial layout project was completed as part of my work experience for Samantha Chami, founder and owner of 'Work in Skateboarding', an American company focused on providing people interested in working within the skateboard industry with the relevant information and support to do so. 

After sending Samantha some of my work and securing a place on the programme I was informed that I would be working to professional standards, facing the challenges and adhering to many of the limitations editorial designers encounter when working professionally within the design industry. The projects were ran very much in this way, with me initially receiving a brief, deadline information and project file containing all of the relevant content needed for the outcome. My job was simple, read the brief, review the featured interview and create an editorial layout that composes written information and supporting visuals in an engaging way that doesn't distract readers from the content.

Due to how the programme was run, with a short turn around time for the publication and specific limitations to publication size, featured content and submission requirements, the project provided me with valuable, industry specific experience. Additional to the professional way in which I had to work when completing the project, I also was engaged quite consistently in email based communications with the client, who, living in America, relied solely on digital communication when discussing aspects of the project. Client based communication is a process every designer is faced with, whether it be digital or analogue, and so experience gained in this area is both relevant and valuable to my professional practice. 

Time management is an aspect of my practice I have consistently outlined in every evaluation as an area I need to improve. As part of the project, I was required to work to a strict deadline, with the first draft submitted just five days after initially receiving the brief. Working to such a short turn around time really benefited my organisational skills, as I had to balance the project alongside a number of larger projects and wanted the outcome finished to a high standard in time for the submission deadline. Through careful planning and focused periods of production I was not only able to finish the article in time, but in fact finished it a few days before the submission deadline, allowing me to review my work and make small improvements to the design before sending the outcome to Samantha. 

Overall, I feel the project went really well, the publication was completed to a high standard and was submitted in time for the submission deadline. Furthermore, Samantha was really impressed with my work, so much so that the article was published a few weeks later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment